Monday, July 13, 2009

Enhanced Kazoo Instruments

A puppeteer's best friend can be the kazoo. Oh yes, there are a multitude of electronic sounds but the day will come when the plug is pulled or the battery dies or the media is left home. When that happens, a puppeteer needs a kazoo.
I decided to enhance some of my kazoos by adding some recycled plastic product containers. Here are some of my efforts.
You will need the following stuff.
A Kazoo (I get mine at Kazoobie)
Some plastic stuff (I used a gallon and a liter (water bottles) and a liquid detergent cap)
A sharp knife (Xacto or Box Cutter) - Be Careful!
Hot Glue
Silver Spray Paint

Just adding something to the open end, doesn't really change the sound but it does look cool. Remember that air has to blow through the kazoo, so make sure you open it up.
Adding something above the resonator does make the kazoo louder. I think different materials will have different results.

Oh - one last note (no pun). I used masking tape around the mouthpiece before spray painting the new kazoo. I didn't want paint (toxic or otherwise) flaking off into my digestive system.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment